There is the joy in the sense of belonging, of possessing and being possessed, by the land where you were born.
Carroll Cloar (1913-1993)
The Brooks is proud to be home to the largest collection of Carroll Cloar’s artworks in the world.
Cloar’s genius lies in his ability to create—in his distinctive, deceptively simple style—images which capture the quiet richness of life in the rural South. Cloar reinterpreted the material of his native home, a cotton farm in Earle, Arkansas, turning family stories, old buildings, local scenery, or vintage photographs into haunting, dream-like pictures.
We will be celebrating the first anniversary of the Carroll Cloar Gallery at the Brooks in September. As one of the most beloved and popular artists in the Brooks’ collection, Cloar continues to inspire our visitors, who flock to the gallery named in his honor.
You can be part of the celebration by joining The Cloar Circle!
By supporting the Brooks at this $1,000 level, you help maintain this new and beautiful setting for art lovers of all ages to enjoy the power and pleasure of Cloar’s art, a distinctive and important contribution to the history of art in the United States, and one that we can truly call “Memphis’s own.”
The Cloar Circle is the entry point for the President's Circle and provides exclusive access to the museum's collections, staff and events.
Core Brooks Membership
- Unlimited free admission to the museum
- Invitations to exclusive members-only opening receptions
- Free admission to selected Art Open Late events
- Member Appreciation Days
- Museum calendar of programs and events
Cloar Circle benefits include:
- All core membership benefits for two adults and children ages 17 and under
- Free admission to a variety of family programs throughout the year
- 10% discount on Summer Art Camp and Saturday School programs at the Memphis College of Art
- 10% off Adult and Youth Community Education Programs at the Memphis College of Art
- Reciprocal membership at an additional 500 museums across North America*
- Free Brooks Collection Catalog
- Exclusive invitations to Cocktails with the Curator
- Museum rental privileges
- Complimentary one-year Individual-level gift membership
- Invitation for two to Brooks Uncorked
- Invitation to a party given exclusively for Cloar Circle and above members.
- Recognition in the Cloar Gallery.
- Complimentary 1-year Individual level membership to give to a friend.
- $850 is tax deductible
*North American reciprocal membership privileges do not extend to institution members within a 15 mile radius of Brooks Museum.
For more information about Brooks Membership benefits, please contact the Membership Manager at 901.544.6230.
American (active in Memphis), 1913 – 1993
Where the Southern Cross the Yellow Dog, 1965
Case in tempera on Masonite
Brooks Fine Arts Foundation purchase
© Estate of the artist