Become a Docent
We'll teach you everything you need to know! Share the wonders of art in the Brooks’ permanent collection and special exhibitions with visitors of all ages. Volunteer as a museum guide. No prior experience required! We will provide you with the training needed.
- A love of art.
- An interest in working with children and visitors of all ages.
- A passion for learning and teaching.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Regular access to the internet and a current email address.
- A two-year commitment to the docent program.
- Attend the required 6-month training class ($25 administrative fee).
- After training, be available one day per week (Wed-Fri) to conduct tours between 10 am and 2 pm.
- After training, attend monthly meetings which are for on-going training/enrichment.
*Candidates attend a six-month training course in art history, the art in the Brooks’ permanent collection, touring techniques, and education practices. Classes are conducted weekly on Wednesday and Thursday 12:30-3:00 pm beginning in September excluding holiday weeks. New docent training classes are held every other year and the next class begins Fall 2018.
- Free course in art history and touring techniques, teaching and learning practices.
- Opportunities for continuing education and personal growth (for example, curator tours, guest lectures, field trips to other museums).
- Support of an enthusiastic and dedicated peer group.
- Brooks Docent Book Club
- Discounts on museum membership.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a volunteer docent call 901-544-6244 or submit an inquiry through the form below.